Gabriola Skirt and Nettie Body Suit

I found out about the Monthly Stitch last month, just in time to prepare for one of their contests! I'd been thinking about sewing up this outfit for a while but this was the perfect kick in the butt to get started.

I used the Nettie body suit pattern from Closet Case Files, and the Gabriola Skirt from Sewaholic. I used a rayon for the skirt, and left over supplex for the top. I had originally purchased different fabric for this skirt, but I saw it on sale in the depths of winter and the tropical print called to me, reminding me of warmer days! I couldn't pass it up, luckily now its warm enough to actually wear

 The shape of the Gabriola Skirt is so flattering, I'm looking forward to making many more! I am pear shaped and didn't need to adjust the pattern at all, which was awesome. The only adjustment I ended up making was an accident, I misinterpreted the waistband instructions! I used a hook for a closure instead of the button suggested.
The Nettie bodysuit is something I have made a few times by now, but this is my first body suit. It's a classic wardrobe staple that will get a lot of wear. The high neck/medium back is my go-to mostly because you can still wear a bra with it :) The high neck is great to show off statement necklaces, and the low back is very elegant. My shoulders are large (not broad, if this makes sense) so I'd usually make and sleeve and armhole a bit bigger but I opted not to for this version because of how stretchy the supplex is. Turns out I should have done that here too! There are some fabric wrinkles underneath the arms that show its too small in the arms
The amount of fabric volume in the skirt is fantastic, it flutters so nicely when I walk, and doesn't restrict my steps.

Action shots!
Lining up the diagonal bands that sit on the hips was a bit of a challenge for me, I had chosen the rayon over the shiny satin-like fabric I had originally chosen for this pattern because I assumed this fabric would be more forgivable. However, every time I tried to unpick a seam the woven fabric unraveled too! If I could go back in time I would choose a jersey, which is still hard to seam-rip but the seam allowance would still be salvageable afterwards!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Watson Bra Fiesta

Cocoon Coat

Spring-time Blair Shirt